My PLAYLIST in Progress


15 July 2006

Jen's a Slob and a Bum!!! :the week in retrospect

So, I was supposed to be on vacation this past week...It all looked bleak when I noticed last week Friday that I had been scheduled to work....My supervisor forgot about my vacation time, and half-heartedly made me a bargain. I worked Sunday and today, and she would take care of Monday through Friday. It was all fine and dandy unitl I realized yesterday that it was unpaid! It was suppoed to be a week of PAID vacation, a vacation that I had marked on our planning calendar at work. It had been marked since mid-January. How unprofessional of her to forget!

Luckily we had not planned to go out of town, or much of anything. I just wanted a paid week off work, to sit around and play and be free. I had really intended to use this week to catch up on my scrapbooking stuff. I've got a pile, a growing pile, of photos, various papers, stickers, patterned pinking shears, and albums. For instance, our guestbook from our wedding reception is a scrapbook. Guests signed and wrote on various pages, and my plan was to insert photos from the reception, the cards that were attached to wedding gifts, etc. It is still unfinished. Those who know me know I have the tendency to suffer from acute procrastination from time to time. The past two years have been just that. Now to the wedding pile I've added Samuel's stuff (baby books & the like). I did not one thing toward accomplishing anything other than being a bum.

Is that so wrong? I mean, my days are filled with Samuel and his interesting games he makes up, diaper changing, and cleaning, cooking, laundry. All of which I fully accept as mine. But I wanted a break....so Sam and I, almost every day, spent a good hour at the park, came home for lunch, and then we both took naps. I'm talking two hours of sleep, here, folks, in the middle of the day. No cleaning up, no laundry. I did cook dinner, and tidy up before bedime, but I was a major slacker compared to my usualy daily activities. AND FOR AN ENTIRE WEEK!!!!!!!!

It felt so good. Last night, the last night of my un-paid vacation, we drove over to Ted Drewes. For those not familiar with this St. Louis establishment, it is the place to get the best frozen custard in the universe! I am currently addicted to the Heath Bar concrete. Sam also had his first taste. Mike shared a bite of two of his butterscotch with extra butterscotch concrete. It was love at first taste!

Anyhow, it's time to get back to reality, and to get back into my routines. Bills are sitting here, laundry's calling my name, and dinner needs cooking. The part I hate most about vacation is when its over. *sigh* Back to the grindstone, eh?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen,
What a wonderful vacation! Doing nothing is always the best. I didn't realize that you were living in Kirkwood, Chris and I are in Crestwood now; we'd love to get together sometime.

~ jen ~ said...

Sarah!

Thanks for reading! I didn't know you had moved! We've been in Kirkwood for a few years now. Actually, we just signed our third lease on our apartment. We plan on staying for a couple more years, until we run out of space for Samuel's toys. LOL!

Lastely, our social life consists of chatting with our neighbors while taking out the garbage, and running into said neighbors and the grocery store or Target. Not very exciting, but it is what it is.

We need to find a way of getting in touch. I'd hate to put our e-mail addresses and phone numbers on a public page like this....

AMY!!!!! It's Sarah!!!!

Amy said...

SARAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JEN!!!!!!
Hey how does Labor Day weekend sound for me to jet over to St. Louis? I'd love to see you both.

btw, Jen, your vacation sounds wonderful. :-) I'm so like that too...I just end up doing whatever I didn't plan. I love down time of nothingness.

Sarah....what's going on in your life???? come visit my blog.